Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One More Thing About The First Couple of Days

Once again, I have another example, which I had completely forgotten from the second day. This incident probably should have ruined my vacation, at the very least, my night, but it did neither. This is not to say I am completely able to escape unfortunate events, I did get angry and I did get frustrated for a while, but I let it pass as all people should do when they run into situations less than ideal. Like I have already said I had great time watching the soccer match and then going out afterward.
However, here is the incident. On our way back to the apartment from the amazing church to freshen up I was pick-pocketed on the metro. A man in front of me dropped his phone, the battery came loose from the phone, he franticly searched the ground in front of me, and while I watched his every movement his partner squeezed in behind me and pulled my wallet from my pocket. Andrea and my parents saw the whole thing happening, but just like me they were focused on the man who had dropped the phone. My dad even told me to stand still at one point because I was squishing the man behind me. I didn’t even know there was a man behind me. My mom told me she almost grabbed the man who exited the metro with his phone because she thought he had stolen my phone. I was oblivious to the whole situation. I had kept my eye on the man searching the floor for his broken off battery, but never even gave a second thought to it being a distraction.
Anyway, the metro door closed, both thieves got away with some petty cash and my credit cards, which were cancelled easily. I searched my pockets quickly for my phone and found it, which is what everyone thought they had stolen. About thirty seconds later, I reached into my pocket and realized my wallet was gone. The little bit of money disappearing was disappointing, but once again you must look at everything in hindsight when you can, no one was hurt. I probably would have chased after the thieves if I had realized in time what had happened, they could have pulled a weapon on me or beaten me up. All that was lost was about thirty minutes on the phone canceling my cards, about thirty dollars, and a fake leather wallet, which I think cost me about four dollars at a flea market here in Novy Bydzov. I was lucky, I was in Barcelona, I was staying in a three-bedroom apartment, I was walking around one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen, and they, the thieves, although they were wrong, probably are living a hand to mouth type of life, they probably needed the money much more than I. I was upset that it happened and it made me way too suspicious of every person I saw for the next week, but in the end I let it past quickly. If I would have dwelled upon the situation and the whole ordeal of being suckered I would have never been able to enjoy myself as much as I did that night as we watched FC Barcelona beat some team I had never heard of. The wallet probably would have just been a hassle the rest of the trip, it was big and heavy, it would have just weighed me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment