Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 1, 2010

June 1, 2010

So, another day in Novy Bydzov to tell you about, not quite sure if you want to hear about this one. Today was rather mundane. Had school as normal, today’s classes actually went pretty good again. Two days in a row of good classes is nice. Had a couple of private lessons, one I just started giving lessons to, she was getting lessons from Andrea before she left, and the other is a guy I have been giving lessons to almost since I have arrived. He is by far the most committed to learning English out of all the people I give lessons to, I think I actually have had to cancel on him more than he has actually cancelled on me and that is a rarity here.
To give you an idea, I was supposed to have a third lesson this evening, but the guy just didn’t show up. No call, no text message, nothing, and this was his sixth time in a row either cancelling or just plain not showing up. It is a bit frustrating, but he I do have to give him credit. Just in the last month he accepted a huge promotion at his job, with a ton of responsibility, and on top of that, he got married. So, although I wrote badly of him and am frustrated because each time he sets up a lesson he “promises” to be there, I do understand he has a lot on his plate right now and may just be too busy or too worn out for English lessons.

The other two lessons I did have went nicely. I always have good conversations with the people I have lessons with. The first, the new girl, who Andrea used to tutor, I did nothing more than help her with a paper she has for one of her University courses. She is actually studying to become an English teacher here in the Czech Republic. The paper was unbelievably well written and I only had to help make a few minor corrections. However, it is tough for me to help edit another’s writing. I have my own particular style of writing and, at times, I want everyone to write like myself. Long-winded sentences with a lot of punctuation, but I knew this paper was for school and essay writing is a whole different style. So, I barely had to do a thing.

As for my second lesson, the one with the guy who I have actually become friends with, we had an interesting discussion. It seems with my lessons, probably way too often, the problem of discrimination in the Czech Republic arises. I always try to keep my opinion to myself as much as possible, but I can never allow myself to agree with discriminating thoughts. Now, I am not saying, whatsoever, that this guy I tutor discriminates, but the conversation leaned more toward the problems with the poverty stricken population of this city, who happen to be of another race and I could not help myself from explaining my point of view on the situation.

I attempted to explain during the lesson that everyone is equal; it is just a matter of opportunity. I shared my thoughts on education and the importance it has on developing a society. In addition, I added my thoughts on the importance of establishing a system that would force parents to take responsibility for their sons and daughters receiving an education. It was a long talk and the way it ended, I probably did way too much preaching of my own beliefs rather than teaching him English, but it is very hard for me to hold my tongue when it comes to these types of topics.

As for my classes, they all went smoothly as I said. Even my hour and half English conversation class with 13 and 14 year olds. I still can’t believe they would have a class an hour and a half with children that age. It seems ridiculous to me that I could be expected to have the ability to hold the attention of someone that young for so long. Somehow today I did it though. It was one of my first times and I felt completely satisfied with myself. I know, if I am able to become a college professor I may end up having courses, which are just as long, if not longer, but in those courses I will have older students who speak the same language as me and I believe I would get a little more class participation.

I did get to speak to Andrea again today for a matter of about one minute. It was nice to hear her voice. I didn’t get a chance to ask about the party. I hope it went well and she had all the fun she deserves. We did, however, get a chance to speak about the new cell phone she is purchasing. She just has to get one of those world-connected, thing-a-ma-jigs. I have tried to talk her out of it, but it looks as though she is going to make the purchase. I guess I will find out when I talk to her tomorrow or when she comments on this blog about me writing about her buying one of those fancy phones.

I, also, heard from my Father, he is going to try to help land me a job in Chicago. So, I have to get my resume together for him tomorrow. I hope this works out because I would like to have a job landed before I start school in the fall. I know that it is wishful thinking in today’s economy, but that is me, the forever optimist. I am even optimistic Andrea’s new phone will bring her happiness and will be well worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Matt,

    The new blog style is great. I'm really enjoying the day to day recaps. I enjoyed reading about your travels as well, but reading about what goes on day in and day out really gives us a glimpse into what life is like over there.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am glad someone besides Mom is enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete