Saturday, June 19, 2010

June 19, 2010

June 19, 2010

I sit at the Matrix on my last Saturday night here in the Czech Republic and the sun slowly moves between the clouds in the distance and into the horizon. This is the second time today I have found myself here at the Matrix today, the second time I have found myself writing an entry. You see, today has been one of the most uneventful days since I have been living here.

I awoke about nine this morning to the soreness of the day before. I had a day planned full of things to do. I had spoke with several of the individuals I give private lessons and they were supposed to meet me at the Matrix to get a chance to meet one another. My plan was to introduce them all. I wanted them to meet so they could, maybe, start meeting on a weekly basis to continue practicing their English.
However, it was one of their text messages that woke me up. The first of two to inform me they could not make the meeting I had planned for noon for some reason or another. So, I through the plan out the window I informed the others who were planning on coming that the meeting was cancelled due to lack of number of people.

Before the planned meeting I had plans to play with other teachers at the school in football. Not actually football, but kind of like foosball. Each person is attached to pole, which runs from one side of the blown up arena to the other. All the people inside actually looked the same as little foosball players, unable to move without the other person attached to same pole moving with them. Well, I had assumed it would be teachers playing against students, I was wrong. They had set it up so there were enough teachers that we played a match against each other. I really am at a loss, knowing I had never played football in my life, but for reason my team, filled with the most competitive teachers at the school put me at goalie. I was a mess. I let in six goals and the score of the match was 6-1 before we switched sides and I told my team I shouldn’t be playing goalie. After switching sides I did end up scoring a goal, which surprised me very much. Despite the goal my team lost the match 7-5. And I had given up 6 of those 7 goals. I don’t think those competitive teachers were too happy with me. Even though they did try to put smiles on their faces I could tell they were not happy we had lost. This whole soccer match, or whatever you would call it, only lasted about ten minutes and it was that that was the most exciting part of my day.

My plans for after my cancelled meeting fell through as well. I think I have mentioned the friend who bought turntables and has been asking me to help, as much as I can, teach him the little I do know about mixing records. Well, he had told me he really wanted me to come over today and show him more things on the turntables, but as it turns out him and his girlfriend went out drinking last night and drank a little too much. I ran into the friend at the Matrix and he told me he was in no shape to go on his turntables. He said his girlfriend felt horrible and was planning on going back to sleep. So, there was no way we could go on his turntables.

With all those plans I had thought it would be a pretty eventful last Saturday. It turned out being me doing laundry and watching the movie Ray. This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise because I talked to my friend who I was helping dig a drench for the foundation of his wall and he asked me to come over again tomorrow to finish the job. More good exercise, I just hope the blister I got on my hand doesn’t end up bothering me too much. And working with my friend tomorrow it will bring me to the close of my last weekend in the Czech Republic for now. I really hope to one day return to this little city, it truly has been a blessing to spend 10 months here.

No comments:

Post a Comment